20 September 2011

Blimps Over Blighty: Review of British Airships 1905-30

British Airships 1905-30 (New Vanguard)British Airships 1905-30 by Ian Castle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a deal book I found prowling through the local Borders that was in its final death throws. I thuink I have found that I like the Osprey Publishing books and may breakdown and buy more in the future. They seems a little "lite" and are therefore more likely to get you a querolous look from a guest who sees it on your bookshelf than the latest Ian Kershaw.

I enjoyed the coverage of all the military airship models, complete with contemporay photos and color plates of most classes. It was only mildly dissapointing not to something more deep-steampunk.

So many people have tried to populate a world with airships, blaming the Hindenberg for destroying such an elegant way of flying. But reading about the crash of the R101 reminded me that Hindenburg was just the last of the air behemoths to die a fiery death, not the only one.

View all my reviews

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home